Work Place Harassment and Violence
4.0 ANCC Contact Hours
CA Healthy Visions / MyCEcredit is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. CPT # 15997
No outside financial support.
The Most Dangerous Profession to Work in is Healthcare
Although employees in the healthcare and social assistance sectors account for 12.2% of the working population (and despite there being the potential for under-reporting in other industries), nearly 75% of workplace assaults occurred in a healthcare setting.
The Most Recent Information available in October 2019 was:
- Patients have attacked 80% of Emergency Medical Services personnel.
- Homicide is the second leading cause of workplace death for home healthcare workers.
- 78% of Emergency Department physicians and 100% of Emergency Department nurses have experienced violence from patients within the last year.
- The annual incidence of physical assault in a psychiatric setting is 70%.
- Among nursing homes with dementia units, 59% of nursing aides reported being assaulted by patients weekly and 16% daily.
- 46% of nurses reported some form of workplace violence during their five most recent shifts.
- Between 2000 and 2011, there were 154 shootings with injury either inside or on the grounds of American hospitals
OBJECTIVES: THE LEARNER WILL BE ABLE TO:
1. Define Workplace violence
2. List three strategies used to respond to an angry or aggressive person
3. Discuss the purpose of policies and procedures.
4. Identify measures to prevent harassment, bullying, and violence in the workplace.
20 Randomized Question Exam 80% or better required for contact hours.
Two attempts allowed.